Thursday, September 29, 2011

Fall-oh! Fridays


In our house, one thing I am extra cautious about is making sure the boys get a good balanced diet. Almost everything we eat is from scratch. Each meal I make sure has a balance of protein, carbs and 2-3 different types/colours of fruits and or vegetables. I also make sure I balance that out over a day and week to make sure they get nutritional variety.

Because most of our food is made from scratch,I have to be intentional about finding ways to give our family healthy amounts of sodium. Sodium is good for you, trust me. The problem is that it is in EVERYTHING you eat that is pre-packaged so people tend to have too much in their diets. Not so with clean eating.

So I have come across some well-altered recipes that are healthy enough to serve my family but do involve spices so as to add some salt content. Throw away that pre-packaged taco seasoning mix, what a waste of a days worth of salt intake! Try this recipe from |AllRecipes.com| and you'll never go back!



One of our favourite fall crock-pot recipes (and a way to increase our sodium on a day that is quite low) is this Slow-Cooker Salsa Chicken recipe from |SparkRecipes.com| it's really fast and super delicious! Just throw some chicken, salsa (homemade is preferrable) and mushroom soup into your crockpot. (now typically I wouldn't recommend anything canned, but when you are in need of some sodium this works great. We buy the low-sodium version as to not add too much!)


... then sprinkle it with your taco seasoning ...


Cook for 6-8 hours on low and voila, you have a lovely dish!
I put mine on top of a bed of spinach with a couple teaspoons of greek yogurt and, of course, veggies on the side. For the boys in my house we serve it the same but with brown rice as well to add the carbs.


I would love for you to try this and let me know what you think. So yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment